Thursday, July 31, 2008

Woohoo! I have gas (and sushi in my belly).

Got up and welcomed the man from the gas company. Yeah, I can take a hot shower. Trust me, people think cold showers are a good idea in the summer but when it is this hot the cold feels like you are hugging an iceberg naked, brrrr. So, he did all this crazy shit with my gas hookup and my supervisor came in time to talk to him and all that jazz…cause I sure as hell would not have understood much. I did understand what to do if something were to shut off or reset itself. Simple instructions in Japanese…totally got that down, lol.

Next order of business was a bank account for which Tom and I felt like schmucks sitting there waiting for everything to just happen. We sure as hell had no clue what was going on half the time and felt really badly that we couldn’t do any of the paperwork ourselves. Yet, Nagaoka-san brought with him a housewife who could speak English well. She was translating for us what I could not understand, which was a big help when it came to some of the more difficult things. She was so nice and fun to talk to. She took time out of here day to come spend it helping us get bank accounts and cell phones. I mean that is just so nice! Nagaoka-san was also a huge help in setting up our automatic bill payments. He was even nice enough to explain everything that was going to be withdrawn and ask us if it was all right. Sure as hell did not want to know what our other option was, so I was like yep that’s super each time he asked.

This was also the day that we went to see Tom’s jr. high school that he will be teaching at. I, of course, went along for the experience and it was good because I then was a bit more mentally prepared to meet my kocho-sensei (principal) and go through all of the formalities involved.

That evening Tom and I went to Kappa Sushi, which is a conveyor belt sushi restaurant. Let me tell you, these things are great!!! Great selection of things, you can try many kinds, and well it is easy…you just pluck it off the line and chow down. They even have corn and mayonnaise sushi. I know, sounded gross to me at first, but as soon as you try it you realize that it is amazing, well, if you like corn that is.

The rice paddy outside my house.
I share the building on the right with 2 others.
This is the street behind my house. (My windows are 1st on left)
Road going in other direction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've actually been to a sushi train type restaurant back here in Illinois. it was amazing to have so much selection and it was reasonably priced.