Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gospel Not For God??

Today, I think I taught super well. My team-teaching sessions with Toeda-sensei, the head English teacher, went super well, especially 6.7.8 (special needs class). I was thrilled that they invited me specifically to have lunch with them today. It ended up being a great idea. While I barely understand their Japanese, so much communication happens through our body language it amazes me. How dependent we are on the things we hear that sometimes we miss those minor things that really are at the heart of a conversation. A ちょう (chou) [butterfly] came into the room with us while we were eating lunch and it was so cool because it was a huge butterfly with massive wings. It had the most wonderful shades of brown etched and swirled into its wings. I instantly thought of the Spanish word for butterfly (mariposa) and how this is a term for gay guys in Spanish. Made me laugh inside because in this country where guys often carry purses and machismo is at a minimum (not that I’m complaining about this, I think it is great!), here flies in this butterfly and unlike the Japanese attitude about homosexuality, this insect is embraced as a creature of grace and beauty.

There were only three classes today because we all went to a local concert hall to hear gospel music performed for the second half of the day. Now some of you might be wondering how this was for me considering that I am not religious and, well, gospel music tends to be a little bit on the Jesusy side of the spectrum. It was actually quite interesting because the students and teachers did not view it as anything more than a performance art. For many, it was their first time seeing gospel music performed. The classics were done, Amazing Grace, Joyful, Joyful, etc. The students were too shy to partake in any of the actions or pleasantries that the group tried to inflict upon them. I, on the other hand, was like whatever, I know English, and I’m going to sing and clap and carry on disregarding the lyrics’ meaning. It was also at this performance that I was first told directly by three girls that I was kakkoii (good-looking/hot/cute). The one girl I distinctly remember having asked me for my signature earlier on. At least they are being more direct with me instead of just giggling in groups. Maybe I can use this to my advantage somehow. Perhaps getting them to pay attention more to what I have to say.

I’d also like to make a note about the school lunches in Japan. They are fantastic! They are super well-balanced nutritionally and always include some sort of hot soup, a salad of some sort (not the lettuce-kind you are thinking of, either), meat in some variety (usually fish), and a huge, fresh piece of bread or if it is MWF rice!!! Plus, there is this neat dynamic about the homerooms here. They are like miniature families. They eat together, study together, clean together, and I tend to see them hanging out together after school. Anywho, back to lunch. I get to enjoy these lunches each day for only ¥273 ($2.50). As far as I am concerned, this is a steal because I don’t have to make it, it is healthy, I get to try all these great new Japanese foods, and it is cheap.

My friend Shannon, whom I met at Tokyo orientation messaged me to say she was happy that she sat next to me on the bus from the airport just one month ago. It feels like so much time has gone by but in reality only one month has passed. I just keep thinking about Mat and that he will be going off to college soon. I feel like I have been the worst person in the world, not having called anyone yet, especially him. I know that he understands. I seriously fight the urge to message him a million times a day, once for each time I think of him.

No comments: