Saturday, August 2, 2008

Matsumoto Bon Bon (no, you can't eat it)

Today, after what seemed like the start to an interesting day, became the highlight of the week. Tom, Joey, Emma, Erika, and myself piled into Erika’s car and jetted or shall I say putted our way up the mountains and back down to Matsumoto. Crammed into this tiny tiny tiny tiny (can I stress tiny in any other way) little thing with four wheels and a rubber band engine we eventually made it only after alternating using the air conditioner so the car would have more power going uphill. What a trip! So we arrived and went into the city to an Japanese style restaurant where we ate and drank with some lovely Japanese people, got robed in fluorescent orange outfit, complete with headband and prepared ourselves for the complete unexpected…the Matsumoto Bon Bon Festival. Now, let me explain. Every year, for the hell of it (or so everyone kept telling us), the Japanese in the Matsumoto area hoard together in mass of about 100,000 people, close off pretty much every street in the city and for 3 full hours dance. Now, let me clarify. This is not some crazy free for all or party in the streets. Ohhhh no, this is true Japanese spirit. They blast out of speakers overhead this song, a song that is now imbedded permanently in my eardrums, over and over the entire time. And what do we do you may ask? Easy, we dance this same dance for the full three hours. I shit you not. There are breaks every half hour or so where you grab and drink, chat for a minute or two and jump into formation for another round. Now, putting aside the pain in my legs and the complete insanity that was brewing in my head from the repetition of song and dance, it was a pretty awesome experience. I mean how often do you get to see so many people willing to do something completely mind-numbing for the hell of it. Better yet, to be part of such an experience. Sugoi! After this, I chatted it up with some Japanese guy on the way back. We had some more to eat and drink, which was not nearly enough to replenish what I had just burned and went to Alex’s place (he is a 2nd year JET). At his place, we all pretty much crashed, which in total ended up being something like 30 people. We were literally laying side-by-side, end-to-end, all on tatami flooring with futons and even someone who decided to sleep in the closet. Drinking, talking, socializing ensued as did a conversation about British guys buying girls drinks and this being some unwritten law that you are agreeing to sex. Well, this brought about a rousing conversation involving me and two other people at the party that night. Ended in some misunderstanding between some people and perhaps a conversation for a time when people were not too drunk to remember what other people were saying (needless to say I was completely sober and one of the few people who actually can remember what was said that night). The next morning after a large group of people left for their homes, I stuck around and had pancakes with about 6/7 others and it was fantastic. We kind of started a new tradition that morning of crashing at someone’s place and making pancakes in the morning. I don’t like pancakes but hell I am all up for tradition making. To add to fun, I tried what the British eat on their pancakes, lemon juice and sugar. Trust me all you Americans, it is not nearly a fraction of what those Brits make it out to be. Give me my sweet, sugary syrup or blueberry topping any day.

My girl Nicole and I in out Bonbonalicious threads.
Unlike me, they knew what the heck to do.
Would not be complete without Kelly & some Japanese schools girls.

No comments: