Today at work, I decided to log online and kill my time doing something to keep my sanity, considering I haven’t been able to talk to anyone in the longest time and it has been killing me. I saw that Mat was online and we started chatting away. Talk about easing my nerves. Leaving Mat was like quitting smoking cold turkey, although spending time with Mat was/is a good thing and not bad. You get what I mean. He and I had a much-needed discussion and both of us exchanged realizations that seemed to have struck us only after my departure. Mostly, I can say that we were both affected greatly. Personally, I cried because even though I am unsure if going to Japan was the right decision, I know that I had made the correct decision in spending my remaining moments with him. Tremendously…the word that comes to mind when I ask myself how much I miss him. Yet, deep down, I know that we will wait for each other I will get my storybook ending. The wait may jade me but I will make the most of it so I can share even more of myself with him. I hope that he does the same.
At 1:30, Oi-san, a clerk at the Board of Education picked me up and took me to City Hall. I was going to meet the mayor today. On the car ride to City Hall, Oi-san, who is a younger guy maybe I don’t know in his late 20s/early 30s (although I cannot tell with every Japanese person looking 20 years younger than they really are, lol), asked me if I would like to join him and the other office workers for tournament soccer. I got so excited at this notion considering that meant he was interested in getting to know me better. I agreed to play and he told me that they would be practicing that evening. SUPER…or so I thought. So, we get to City Hall, and I meet the other AETs (Assistant English Teachers) from Interac, which is a private company that employs AETs in schools. They were, well, interesting to say the least. I would like to say that JET’s process for employing people seems to bring a certain type of person to Japan and well Interac seems to bring a different kind. Not saying this is bad or anything but maybe the differences made it a bit awkward. Perhaps, I was just imagining all of this. Either way, Tom had showed up as well and the four of us went to see the mayor. We introduced, did all the formal shiznit, and then shot the shit with him about random things. Apparently he is 80 years old yet he seriously did not look a day over 65 if I were to guess really high. Afterwards, Tom and I were separated from the other two and put into a formal meeting where our responsibilities were spelled out to us, hmmm, maybe for the 6th or 7th time now. Basically, we are part of a great initiative, students are shy, don’t speak Japanese to the students, do our best, only speak English to the students, try to team-teach, oh and did I mention ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH!!! They were a little adamant about a few things can you guess which? :P Later found out that I cannot play soccer with Oi-san and the guys because of insurance reasons. I understood but at the same time I think it is complete crap. I mean, wth, why does this world have to be all about insurance and lawsuits and not just living a decent life? If I knew I wouldn’t offend someone by trying to break the rules, I would have asked to sign a waiver so that I can play.
That evening, I felt really tired and slept away my entire evening and night, skipping out on dinner and reality. Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of the best thing that has ever happened to me. If you are lost, reread the first paragraph.
No comments:
Post a Comment